Friday, April 1, 2011

Distal Bicep Rupture

Yes, my husband has gone and done it. Tore his big 'ol bicep fully off the tendon like this:
And now his bicep has retracted up his arm and looks like a big soft lump at the top of his arm, while the lower part of his arm (by elbow) is small and indented from where the muscle once was. It is gross. The emergency room Dr. has ordered emergency surgery for him as soon as they can fit him in. Recovery is typically a 6 week cast, followed by 12 weeks of physio.

This is a bit hard to take given the fact that he is a contractor and needs his muscles to put food on the table! He keeps telling me (being the make lemonade from lemon type of guy), that something good will come out of it. Unfortunately, this is really bad timing with the financing of the adoption... but what can you do!?

You wanna know how he did it? He was taking Muffin to gymnastics yesterday, when I remembered last minute that it was parent watch night. I have been to several of these, so I asked if he could just attend since he was already driving her. In previous "watch nights"... parents "watched", not participated! Well Dan, being the crazy, spontaneous person he is, decided it would be fun to have a challenge with Muffin and see if he could do everything she could. I think he forgot that she has been training for 4 years... and he didn't even warm up. The 360 somersault rotation on the rings is what did him in! He heard a loud pop and almost vomited from the instant pain, although he hid it well from everyone. He called me on the way home to tell me what he had done... laughing. What a guy.

Everyone keeps asking me if this an April Fools Day joke... I wish. I will see if I can get a good picture of it.
In the interim... we wait for the call for surgery. Hopefully sooner than later.

No comments: