Friday, February 3, 2012

Harsh Reality (Warning Graphic photo)

I have to share a story. It's a story of one, but has happened to many more before, and will continue to happen unless something is done.

The story comes from the director of the Upinde Baby Centre in Mombasa. As quoted from Facebook:

Today I recieved news from a friend in Kibera that a baby was thrown away in the slums. It was asked whether Upinde would work with Kibera and of course, we said yes. Sadly, this is the baby he was referring to, a baby boy who died there from hypothermia (he simply got too cold waiting). Upinde has offered to network so cases like this can come here but there is more to be done. We want to set up a safe place for babies so we can reach them before they die. Keep an eye on the blog as we roll out our plans... www.tokenyaforever.com Rest in Peace sweet boy

I apologize for this photo. I shared it on my Facebook ... and constantly have to quickly scroll by it. However, I think it is important to help us better understand how tragic this situation is.

We don't know if the Mother intended for the baby to die, or if she hoped someone would find him. Perhaps the Father or another family member took him from the Mother and put him there? We just don't know. What we do know, is this happens all the time. babies are left in trash heaps like this, they are left tied up in plastic bags, thrown out moving vehicles and tossed down pit latrines.

The fundamental problem - is obviously the poverty. People cannot afford to feed and house themselves let alone another child. The other problem weighing heavily in this equation is the fact that it is illegal to abandon your child in Kenya. In turn, babies are abandoned in secret, where no one will bare witness. No safe drop boxes, nothing.

(What can be done about this? I don't really know. Some law changes would be helpful... More education etc... I look forward to learning more and find out what we can do to help.)

Seriously - I just find it shocking that no church or orphanage has just built a large wooden box, painted it red and put it in the center of Kibera's trash dump... or etc. (Since all of Kibera is essentially a trash dump) Upon seeing this ... it would be obvious, and it would be used. A volunteer could do a walk thru once a day. BUT, where do you put the babies then? And, I supposed this is why they haven't done it.

So don't be surprised if I start 'operation red box' while I'm in Kenya and come home with a dozen babies!

1 comment:

Candice said...

oh my heart. I have no words for this.