Saturday, February 11, 2012

Guess what Kenya has....


... that excites me (and the kids) more than hippos or lions?

Source

Yep... that's right - Chameleons!!!! (And yes, that is a baby hitching a rid on the horns!) Are you kidding me right now? These lizards are fascinating, very rare and exotic in the pet trade here.... and soon they will be running around our yard! The one above is a Jacksons Chameleon - common in Kenya.

I know some of you may think this is an odd creature to like... but, I love em! I raised a couple quite a few years ago... but eventually had to give them up as they literally took 2 hours a day to properly care for them! With 2 babies at home, I just couldn't do it. (Not to mention the fact that I had to breed their food as well - don't even ask, unless you really want to know! ;)

Here they are...

Our Male Panther Chameleon 'Bella' (we thought it was a girl)

Their cages... Left side empty - no chameleon

Bella as a juvenile
'Fauna' our skittish female


Muffin has a good discussion with Bella in the shower

No comments: