Monday, October 3, 2011

Fall fruit and a Plum Crisp recipe!

October = free fruit. Although we don't have any fruit trees, we have many friends and neighbours who do. As I was picking plums the other day, I couldn't help but feel so terrible about the waste. The ground was literally littered with fruit left for the bugs and bears. I always try to salvage any good fruit that has fallen on the ground... but it's almost futile, as it doesn't change the amount that goes to waste. This is normal in BC... there is so much fruit, that much of it doesn't get picked or eaten. Whenever I pick fruit, I can't help but wonder how many people one fruit tree could sustain for a week. SO, in an effort to be 'fruitful' we try our best to put what we can to use. We make berry jams in the summer, in addition to freezing and in the fall we snack a lot on fruit and try to do as much fruit baking as possible. (Even though I don't bake!) One day I'll find the time to start canning!

I'm not a fruit fan, but love plums... and love them even more when they are fresh picked! Plums are an excellent source of vitamin C, B complex vitamins and rich in minerals like potassium and iron.

Last night we tried a Plum Crisp for the first time, and it was a hit! Recipe as follows:


Filling


Topping

Directions:


  1. 1
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2
    In a medium bowl toss plums, flour, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon together.
  3. 3
    Pour into ungreased 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
  4. 4
    In a small bowl combine all topping ingredients.
  5. 5
    Mix with a fork until crumbly.
  6. 6
    Distribute topping mixture evenly over plums (I use my hands for this).
  7. 7
    Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until topping is crispy and golden brown.


Serve warm with frozen yogurt - Yummilicious!

No comments: