Thursday, March 3, 2011

Selling it all!

There are so many uncertainties with adoption. I struggle with this a bit, as I am very driven and determined. I prefer to control the situation. I have never felt so hands tied down... helpless, as I do in this journey. With anything else... I can forge my own path and make it happen.

 However, there is one thing that is for certain, and that is - this adoption is going to cost a lot of money! I was making some serious inquiries to the cost of the different programs. Not taking into account the fees spent on the home study; DRC will cost approx. $24k with travel, US adoption will cost a minimum whopping (are you ready for this?!) $40k without travel and hotel! I suspect that Ethiopia and other African programs will be in the DRC ballpark of $24k. $10k of this we will need soon to send our dossier out. (For those who don't know, a "dossier" is a set of appropriately authenticated and translated legal documents which are sent to the country you wish to adopt from. Home study report, medical reports, financial reports etc.)

So... not wanting to sell property, or mutual funds... we need to think outside of the box. We could try to fundraise, sell shirts, baking etc... however - we just don't have a large enough community etc. to ever make that work. So, we have decided we need to start selling stuff. I have a piece of jewellery that I think may be have a fair chunk of value in it - so I am going to work on getting an appraisal and figuring out how best to sell it. We have also decided to sell half our boat that we are in a partnership in on. Those are the larger valued belongings we have.. however, it's all up for grabs. If we have something you want... let me know! Children and mutts not included!




No comments: