Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Why don't you have one of your own?"

This question seems to be popping up more often, so I will answer it for all. We have been fortunate to be blessed with fertility, and I am completely capable of conceiving and carrying another child - however, after some long and careful thought, we have decided to adopt for these reasons:

1. Environmental, social, and economic problems either stem from or are increased in magnitude by the overpopulation problem. Dan's belief is - We have replaced ourselves with our 2 children... why add to the burden?

2. There are 146 million orphans in the world! It only makes sense to give one of these children a chance at life and a family to love them! By having another biological child - it would mean turning a child without a family away. It would mean one more orphan in the world.

3. My heart is broken for the orphans of the world... and I feel the need to do something about it. What if it were my little 6 yr old begging on the street corner, or my 8 yr old daughter having to sell her body for food to survive!

4. An adopted child would be my "own"... just not created from my DNA.


"Why don't you adopt domestically?"

1. Domestically adopted children are at high risk of FAS, drug exposure etc. Children here are given up typically because their Mother's are addicts etc. There are very few healthy infants/children in the system and the line up for them is very large...

2. If you know me, you know that African children have always been near and dear to my heart. The Children African's Choir came to stay in our home town when I was younger, and I will never forget my little African buddy re-counting the story of how his parents were killed in front of him by soldiers in jeeps and he and his sister ran into the jungle. One of these boys raised his 3 month old sister in the bush for a few months when he was only 3 yrs old!
The tragedy, and yet life that shone through their eyes was unforgettable.

3. Domestically, (and in the US).. orphans are not at risk of dying from starvation, malnutrition and disease like they are in Africa. Adopting from Africa may mean saving a life!

4. An orphan is an orphan - they all deserve a family. I don't see the world with borders... the orphan in Africa is just as deserving as the orphan in Canada. I don't play favorites - but would like to give to the one that is in greatest need.

Adoption is not for everyone, and quite honestly I never envisioned myself adopting as a young adult. Haiti - put the fire in my heart and then months and months of researching has put so many images and stories in my head that I just can't walk away from.

*EDIT - our journey has taken an unforeseen fork in the road. 2 months later, we are seriously giving the US program some consideration. You can read about it HERE.

1 comment:

Jason and Jessica Cardin said...

We have sure heard these questions lately. I love your answers. Sometimes when you get these questions, it can be hard to answer briefly and to the point because you have so many reasons running through your mind. Good stuff.