Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Stopping in with a quick update...

It has been a crazy 10 days.

On the 17th, while at my Mom's for my side of the family's Christmas party, we received the phone call that hubby's Mom passed away.

We cut our holiday short and came home Sunday morning followed by Hubby's brother and sister and their families. We picked up Hubby's other brother at the airport in Spokane on Tuesday and had a small service on Wednesday.

Hubby's Mom was given weeks to live 2 years ago. A Scleroderma diagnoses, care from specialists, and a pacemaker later... she outlived the Dr's prognosis more than once. In January 2011, she was given 2 months. We knew to expect it soon, but it certainly didn't make it any easier.

Hubby has cared for her during the last 2.5 years, with a couple of visits a day. We were happy to have moved her here from Alberta so we could do so. Hubby was exceptionally close with his Mom.

She was doing relatively well the last few weeks and we expected her to share Christmas with us. It is unfortunate that it didn't happen this way, but at least it was easy for the family to travel here given the Christmas holiday.

Hubby's Mom was an inspiration to say the least. She never said a bad word about anybody and tirelessly gave all she had to those she loved. She loved spending time with our children and they really miss her.

During our small family service, Muffin turned to me and said, "Mom, everyone is sad and it makes me sad for Grandma who is looking down at us. She would be sad to see everyone sad. She wouldn't want that. I think we should be happy for her and celebrate her life. Can we pick up some balloons and have a party for her instead of a funeral?"

Oh my Muffin... she is the light in the dark. The following day, we picked up balloons and had a party!

Christmas quickly snuck up on us, and now the family has all returned home.

Mikha, has also surpassed his prognosis and is still with us. He has been doing quite well, but the tumor on his leg has grown significantly in the last 3 days. 2 days ago, I had to re-bandage his leg 3 times... because it expanded that quickly! He is losing a lot of weight and seems to be mostly focused on licking his leg so we know that he is no longer comfortable. Sadly, we have concluded that it is no longer fair to have him endure this any further. Tomorrow... we will have to take him to the vet where he will cross the rainbow bridge into the arms of Grandma.

On another note, we got some further awful news 2 days ago that the caretaker at Hubby's parent's Seniors complex was found dead of a heart attack during his shift at the residence. Much, much too young and completely unexpected. A super nice fellow that always took time to talk to us and took great care of the residents there.

A few more days and New Years Eve will be upon us. Good riddance 2011.

1 comment:

Sylvie and Victor said...

I’m sorry for the lost of your husband’s mother. I’m sure it must have been difficult during the holiday.

It’s never an easy decision to put a dog (friend) to sleep. I pray for all of you to get through this difficult time. The New Year is just around the corner, hoping good news will follow for your adoption.