Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Considering going private...


... but hold on, not so fast. I'm going to do some research into this first.

Now that our dossier is at the Agency ... soon to be sent to Kenya - there is some thought that perhaps we should go in hiding until referral.

I HATE this idea. I'm always very vocal about being who I am... with nothing to hide. This does not appeal to me, let me tell you! I want my blog to be available to all... and then I question, what stops anyone with ill intention from requesting to read my 'private' blog  - and how would I know?

However, the rational is - there is corruption in Kenya - no doubt about it. I don't think there is an African country without it! ... and it is better to be safe.

Basically, including our last name in the blog address and name was not such a great idea after all! DUH!? But, us Thompsons are a dime a dozen... so not a huge concern. I did erase my real name from the blog. I could erase any reference to 'Kenya' - but how would this serve any intention to assist others who are considering adoption from here?

I'm pretty fearless when it comes to this type of thing. But I do also have consider my children - one who happens to be a blue eyed, blond female!

What is the worst that could happen (realistically)? Who knows... I haven't given it too much thought...  They could stalk me on blogger world and make a plan to ... what? Bribe me? I think that happens all the time anyway... Hmm. Go ahead - fill me in. What happens to adoptive parents that don't go private? Or... what could happen?

Also - doesn't going private just make your future posts private, but leave your previous posts open to all? How does this work?

Tell me what to do!! And in the interim... if you follow, but don't officially 'follow' - please hit that button and come out of hiding, so I can add you if I do go private!

Thank you all!

5 comments:

Sylvie and Victor said...

I had considered going private as well when we got the referral, but like you... I didn’t know all the people that was following my blog and I have met a whole lot of great people from my blog so I decided to leave it open. I don’t know if it was the right thing to do but I did.

Jacquie said...

I'm not on blogger, and I usually just follow you on google reader. But I'm following you now, so you can include me if you go private.

Jolene said...

Thanks ladies. I'm sticking around for awhile... until someone can convince me otherwise anyway! ;) Funny thing is, I just lost 2 followers after posting this! (What!?)...

Following a private blog is not as convenient because there is no update feed. I'm not sure how this would affect Google Reader as I don't use it...

And as you said Sylvie - I too have met some great people via my blog.

I also have at least a couple people stumble on my blog a day searching for Kenya adoption. I feel more of a obligation to keep it public because there are so very few Kenya adoption blogs!

darci said...

oh man...having just tried to go private..didn't work so well for me. i understand your concerns though! no advice. :) i LOVE the crystal ornament craft..I am so UNCRAFTY talented that my girls will think i am amazing to do this with them! thanks for sharing it! darci :)

Jolene said...

Your girls will love it... so fun to wake up and see how the crystals have grown! Magic!
I've got another simple Christmas gift craft coming up that you may like as well!